22. He dare not quit his present job ______ being unable to find another one.
Ain fear of
Bin fears of
Cfor fear of
Dwith fear of
113. Extensive reporting on television has helped to __________ interest in a wide variety of sports and activities.
42. No sooner had he sat down to lunch ______ there was a knock at the door.
66. It is reported that two cars ______ into each other this morning on the highway, killing both drivers and two passengers.
61. A strike began late in September in protest against a ______ of wages.
8. The scheme would be very expensive ______.
Ato carry out
Bto be carried on
Cto carry over
49. The teacher wrote his ______ in the margin of the composition.
65. On arriving at Singapore, we telephoned to ______ our mother’s uneasiness.
90. Mr. Smith said that he did not want to _______ any further responsibilities.
28. Neither your parents nor your aunt has any ______ thought but what is best for you.
69. His family ______ great hardship during the war.
20. I don't think she is ______ the honor given to her.
79. At the airport they went _______ the aircraft an hour before the other passengers.
4. You must concentrate your attention ______ the main contradiction involved in the problem.
112. The Car Club couldn't __________ to meet the demands of all its members.
80. I doubt whether he can _______ his efforts much longer as he looks very tired.
2. ______ the uncertainty of the weather, outdoor cafes are not a feature of English life.
AIn spite of
26. She could not help ______ as past events rushed into her mind.
Dto be weeping
81. My father has lived a long life, and done enough to _______ great respect in his town.
95. Our hopes __________ and fell in the same instant.